Monday, September 7, 2009

GKN Weekly Update 9/7/09

Happy Labor Day!

I hope everyone is enjoying their well-deserved time off. I, in the land of the self-employed, am doing my thing today. I already submitted three auditions this morning via Voice123 and will continue with my regular Monday routine.

Last week I recorded four voiceovers from home. For me, that's a lot! Two were from old clients and two were from a new client. I also had two auditions courtesy of Ingrid French, one for ING Savings Bank and one for the Neilsen Corporation. Both went very well, but I want to talk about the second one.

First of all, I had to wear a suit. Now don't get me wrong, I like dressing up, but I always feel like my chances of booking a gig go down when I do. I guess I feel like a schlub and all the other guys look so darn dapper. Also, I was auditioning for the role of a corporate executive. Did you know the average CEO is over six feet tall? People subconsciously equate height with confidence & power. Weird, huh? I'm 5'9" which is the average male height and I've never felt short but I did THAT day! Anyway, I did very well in the audition but I was mad at myself for weakening my own position based on my silly neuroses. Of course the ridiculous inner monologue disappears the second I walk in the room but I shouldn't psyche myself out like that.

TIP OF THE WEEK: Don't be your own worst enemy! Always set yourself up for success both physically and mentally. Be prepared, be positive, and have fun!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: We are what we imagine ourselves to be. Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

DISCUSS!: Have you ever auditioned for a part that you didn't feel right for? How did you do?

1 comment:

Dan Nims said...

Good luck to you, Tom, on getting the job after going to all the work of 'dressing up' for the audition.

What you said about having the right attitude is quite true.

Sort of like the new door to door salesman who walks up to a house and says over and over in his head, "nobody home, I hope, I hope."

Pretty tough to make a sale when you're afraid of people.

Don't know where I picked up this metaphor, it is: negative thoughts can be likened to 'weeds' in our 'mind garden.' You hoe them out and give water to the good stuff, not the other way around.