Monday, September 28, 2009

GKN Weekly Update 9/28/09

This is my favorite time of year!

Baseball is about to dive into the playoffs, football has started, and the weather has become pleasant. The cliche is that fall is all about change and I love change. For those of you who know me, that sounds like a contradiction. I am a DEEPLY organized creature of habit who thrives on structure. However, I love it when things change. Sometimes I go out of my way just to enjoy change. I take different driving routes. I alter the order of my day-to-day activities. I often rearrange the books, pictures, and furniture in my home. Why do I do that? It's good for my brain. I strongly believe that your brain is a muscle and it can atrophy. It needs to be active and not get stuck in the same boring exercise routine.

This also applies to my voiceover career. I use an action plan where I check off daily, weekly, and monthly activities. I try new things every month. Obviously if something works I stick with it. The key for me is to make sure that piece of paper I look at every day has something fresh and interesting on it that forces me to use my brain in a different way.

TIP OF THE WEEK: Mix it up, people! If your life seems stale make it a point to do something different. Even little things like where you get your morning coffee or what radio station you listen to on the way to work. Your brain is hungry. Don't feed it corn flakes every time!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: It is better to wear out than rust out. Millard Fillmore

DISCUSS!: What can you do to make your day-to-day life more fun and interesting?

No comments: