Monday, August 24, 2009

GKN Weekly Update 8/24/09

And a happy & slightly more temperate Monday to you!

So last week I got back on the cold-calling wagon. For those of you who are new to the GKN, I HATE cold calls!!! Half the time the receptionist has absolutely no idea what you're talking about and when they do you get the contact person's voice mail and most of the time they never call you back. AUGH! Very frustrating. Despite all this, cold calling does have merit:

First of all, it keeps you in touch with the industry. When is the busy season, when is it slow, what are the current trends, etc. Second, nothing can replace a one-on-one personal interaction. That's when you have an opportunity to make a positive, lasting first impression. Third and most important, it works. I've developed my client base largely from this and it landed me my first ever gig, the infamous Genital Herpes PSA!

TIP OF THE WEEK: here are a few cold calling tips...
1. Look in places like the Yellow Pages or online directories for potential contacts.
2. Try to find the name of a person in the company to ask for.
3. Be positive, be polite, and have a question prepared in advance so you can get your intent across quickly and professionally.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: There's only one me, and I'm stuck with him. Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

DISCUSS!: Do you cold call? If so, what techniques do you use to increase your chances of success?

Have a great week!

No comments: