Monday, August 10, 2009

GKN Weekly update 8/10/09

Holy Hot Scorch-your-face-off Day! It is brutal out there.

Over the weekend I narrated a tutorial for Ebsco Host, an online library. I seem to get a lot of those. Online tutorials, I mean. Apparently, I have the right sound for it. Ten years ago that kind of job didn't even exist! Weird, huh?

Anyway, it got me thinking. What exactly is my sound? Why do I get mostly e-learning work and almost no commercial work? I'm not exactly sure. If I had to guess, I'd say I have an energetic, young, friendly, guy-next-door sound. But that sound should get you commercial work, right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I love the work I do and the gigs I get. It's just that I would have never guessed that almost all my voice over work comes from the e-learning niche.

TIP OF THE WEEK: Find your sound. Not the one you want to have or think you have, YOUR sound!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: . . . as long as the heart beats, as long as body and soul keep together, I cannot admit that any creature endowed with a will has need to despair of life. Jules Verne

DISCUSS!: What is your sound? Is it different than what you thought it was when you started your voice over career?

Stay cool, my friends!

No comments: