Monday, August 17, 2009

GKN Weekly Update 8/17/09

Hello and wishing you a cool Monday!

So last night for the first time I watched the film "Everything's Jake" starring Ernie Hudson. It's a charming film about a homeless man who helps another man who's new to the streets that is more than he appears to be. It was shot in 2000 but took years to find distribution. I was an extra for a restaurant scene that was shot in Manhattan. This was the first movie I was ever in. (BTW a big thanks to Judy Keller Casting, who STILL calls me in for auditions!)

I was sitting at a table in the restaurant with three or four other actors watching the controlled chaos. I remember being fascinated by the huge white trucks lining the block, the miles and miles of cables, the crew bustling about getting everything set up, and of course my fellow extras. We were there for hours and hours. All this for one shot of one of the characters looking out the window looking lost in thought. Until that day I had no idea what goes into making a movie.

Nine years later, I've done my share of TV, film, and theater as both cast and crew. I gotta tell you, every time I step on a set I'm as excited as that day on the set of "Everything's Jake".

TIP OF THE WEEK: What we do is fun and exciting and a rare chance to be a part of something special. If you are one of the few who are fortunate to experience this on a regular basis, always remember to embrace it, cherish it, and pass along your wisdom to that new actor sitting next to you with the deer-in-the-headlights look. Count your blessings!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: Heaven will be no heaven to me if I do not meet my wife there. Andrew Jackson

DISCUSS!: Do you remember your first time on set or on stage? What was it like?

No comments: