Monday, February 7, 2011

GKN Weekly Update 2/7/11

Happy Post-Super-Bowl Party-I-Lost-My-Shirt-In-The-Box-Pool Day! I hope every had a good time and a safe drive home.

So, I was at my friend's Super Bowl party for what I think is the tenth year in a row, whooping it up, then I realize I'm halfway through my third beer. I said out loud "Crap! It's a school night." (yes, I got some strange looks from my friends, but I'm used to that by now!), poured the rest of the beer out, and grabbed a soda. Why, do you ask? Was it because I didn't want to have too much to drink and then drive? That was part of it, but I was eating a lot and I know my limit and it was early so I had plenty of time for it to wear off. The other reason is that beer dries my voice out and I have two recording sessions today. I lose that young, energetic sound that gets me the majority of my gigs and I didn't want to risk sounding "off".

Why are some voice actors able to smoke, drink, etc. and they sound great whilst I, the gentle flower, can't have so much as a second glass of wine the night before and I sound like Hervey Fierstein? Is it genetic? Is my voice not in good shape? Do I need to do a particular kind of exercise to stave off the effects of shouting, alcohol? Does such an exercise exist?

TIP OF THE WEEK: Many times I have quoted the Chinese proverb, "One disease, long life. No disease, short life." It means know your limitations and work within them. It takes time, observation, and objectivity to know what you can and cannot do. Learn to look at yourself, I mean really look at yourself, to know what your strengths & weaknesses are and work with them, not against them.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: Never complain and never explain. Benjamin Disraeli

STUFF!: BTW I did the first recording session this morning and I sounded fine. My next recording session is in Midtown Manhattan at 4:00 PM. When I'm done I'm free for dinner! If you want to get together either write me at tom@tomdheere.com or give me a buzz at 973.216.3808. There a bunch of great places by the studio I'll be at. It would great to hang out!

From Tom Dheere's apartment this is tom Dheere, GKN News...

No comments: