Monday, January 3, 2011

GKN Weekly Update 1/3/11

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

2010 is in the books and I'm sure you're all geeked up for 2011. Well, aren't you? Hmm?

Today we are going to review Goal Setting. Why? Because so many of you asked. I must say I am impressed by the amount of GKNers who wrote me asking for help. That speaks very highly of you!

So, how did it go last year? Did you achieve your goals in 2010? Did you set some and give up by February? Did you set any at all? Why is this so freaking hard?

Setting the goal is part of the problem. Most of the time the goals you set are too vague, too unwieldy, or both. "I'm going to lose weight" never works. "I will lose five pounds by March" is better. "I will switch from white bread to whole wheat" or "I will not have a second helping of starch" is even better.

Executing the goal is the other part of the problem. Most of the time you just declare your goals in a half-drunken haze at 2 AM on New Year's Day and then pray. Doesn't work, does it? IBM just doesn't shout from the rooftops "We're gonna make more money this year!" then run off and slam into things sideways hoping that cash will fall out. They think about it very carefully. They craft a plan. Then they execute the plan.You need a system for executing your goals. They must be simple, incremental, and achievable.

TIP OF THE WEEK: To achieve your goals, do the following:
  • Be Specific
  • Be Realistic
  • Write It Down

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: Everyone can love everything the moment they understand what they are doing, and why. From the book Conversations With God

STUFF!: While doing all of this, you must ask yourself two very important questions
  1. What do I want?
  2. What am I willing to sacrifice to get what I want?
Next week I'll walk you through how I set up my goals for 2011. Once again, feel free to write me if you need any help.

From Tom Dheere's apartment, this is Tom Dheere, GKN News...

No comments: