Monday, November 8, 2010

GKN Weekly Update 11.8.10

Holy hail & sleet, Batman! It is uber-crappy out there today, but I have braved the elements to be in NYC for two recording sessions. So, we are broadcasting LIVE from the lobby of CityVox in Midtown Manhattan.

Last week I had a great recording session with my friend Lisa Desimone. She is a great talent and one of the groovier people I know. It was an e-learning session and we recorded a bunch small vignettes as well as lists (see my GKN entry from a few weeks ago to learn about the magic of narrating lists!). Anyway, when we recorded these lists we had to take turns saying the terms for each list. I gotta tell you, stuff like that is so much easier when you're working with a real pro like Lisa. She worked off of my rhythm, my pitch, and my mood to complement me perfectly! We flowed back and forth so easily it was virtually flawless. You rock, Lisa!

TIP OF THE WEEK: The scariest experience I've ever had in my professional life is when I was acting on stage and my scene partner was looking right through me when we interacted. She wasn't even remotely in the moment and wasn't "listening" to me at all. She was just waiting for me to finish my lines so she could say hers. It was awful! Acting is reacting, my friends. You need to listen to your partner and incorporate it into your performance, even if it's just reading a list. I'm not saying you have to turn it into a freaking Meisner exercise. Just remember that you're not the only one in the room.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: If she breaks my heart I'll love it because I'll know where it takes me. Christopher Cook

STUFF!: What's the best acting experience you ever had with a partner? The worst?

From the CityVox lobby, this is Tom Dheere, GKN News...

No comments: