Monday, November 15, 2010

GKN Weekly Update 11/15/10

Good morning! I hope everyone had a pleasant weekend. Fellow GKN'er Marci Fine came over to record some spots and we had a grand ole' time. Thanks for the chocolate, Marci!

Remember last week when I was writing the GKN Update from CityVox? Well, there were one or two other sessions going on in addition to the one I was called in for. At one point, there were about a dozen of us hanging out in the lobby for maybe less than five minutes, but what a five minutes! It was like a VO reunion and there were some folks that I haven't seen in almost a year. So, hello to Eileen Stevens, Jen Wos, Rick Adamson, Lisa DeSimone, Heather Corrigan, Carla, Mara, Billy, Jen Duckworth, Fran, and everyone else I can't think of. It was great seeing you!

TIP OF THE WEEK: When I decided to get into voiceovers, I was pretty unhappy with the direction my life was going in. I had good friends and supportive family, but none of them had any idea what I was talking about when it came to this strange profession. It didn't take long to discover what an incredible group of people make up the voiceover community! I have been fortunate enough to develop a strong network (as in Good Karma Network!) of professional connections and I made some friends for life along the way. This was a wonderfully unexpected benefit of becoming a voiceover talent.

Networking is not just about getting the cell phone number of that big casting director or sending cookies to all of the agents during Christmas. It's about being a part of the community. Being a supportive peer, a mentor to those new to the industry, a go-to guy (or gal). Trust me, that will get you much further than trying to get in good with the big-shots!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: All art has poetry in its center. Anonymous

STUFF!: Caprica was canceled! That's one of the only shows I watch. The good news is that they're developing a new Battlestar Galactica series call Blood and Chrome. Does anyone have any inside information?

From Tom Dheere's apartment, this is Tom Dheere, GKN News...

No comments: