Monday, February 1, 2010

GKN Weekly update 2/1/10

And a happy post-Grammy, post-Pro Bowl day to you! I hope everybody picked a winner...

So, the grand experiment of tracking my networking & auditions is over. Here is the grand total: I reached out to exactly 120 potential and existing clients in January. That included cold calls, query emails, auditions, callbacks, and follow-ups. That's six reach-outs a day. Is that a good number? I'm not sure. I guess the important question is: did I get work? The answer is yes. Enough work to make the effort worthwhile? Only time will tell. Sometimes years pass before a cold call turns into a paying gig. I would like to think I'm on the right track...

TIP OF THE WEEK: Some of my industry friends poke fun at me for being so analytical when it comes to running my business. I've been told I'm "anal" and "too structured". You know what? I'm totally fine with it! If you are self-employed and trying to make it as an actor, model, dancer, VO talent, etc., you are a business. Act like it! You need a business plan, a budget, a realistic vision. OK, we're artists, we march to the beat of a different drum. Fine, I get it. But that doesn't mean you have to rebel against everything that's organized because it make you feel restricted or less free to express yourself. Please.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: If you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. Conan O'Brien

STUFF!: I saw "The Book of Eli" last week. I always look forward to Denzel Washington movies because he's such a great actor and he picks interesting projects. I'm sorry, but this one was pretty bad! It was a poor attempt at going for a Mad Max post-apocalyptic setting with a religious twist. Denzel was great, Gary Oldman was great (he's one of my favorite actors), and yes, another Tom Waits sighting! But this one fell short.

Have a great week!

No comments: