Monday, November 30, 2009

GKN Weekly Update 11/30/09

Happy Post-Thanksgiving! I hope everybody enjoyed their holiday weekend, did some shopping, and housed some leftovers. I had a blast at dinner with family and friends.

This holiday weekend was also eventful because I went to my 20th high school reunion!



That's me with my friend Yvonne. Dig the mini-mullet on my name tag!

I can't even begin to tell you what a fantastic time I had seeing old friends and catching up. Everyone was interested in my voiceover career and a few of them said they may have work for me! That was very nice, but I'm not about to tell you to use your high school reunion as a networking tool. A bit tacky, if you ask me.

TIP OF THE WEEK: Those of us who are self-employed train ourselves to look for networking opportunities in any situation. Sigmund Freud once said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." The reunion was just a reunion, a purely social situation. I'm not saying I had to resist the temptation to pass around business cards. It didn't even occur to me until someone broached the subject. I'm just saying there is a time and place for everything.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: If you trip in public, don't blame the sidewalk. Pick yourself up and pretend nothing happened. (from the book “Rules for my Unborn Son” by Walker Lamond)

DISCUSS!: Has anyone ever solicited you at an inappropriate time? How did you handle it?

Have a great week!

No comments: