Monday, June 29, 2009

GKN Weekly Update 6/29/09

And a good morning to you all!

Let's get right into overcoming professional challenges. How do you leave your personal life at the door before an audition? Here's an example...

Last week I went to have my car's oil changed. The service guy discovered a copious amount of repairs that needed to be done to the point that it wasn't worth putting that much money into it since it has over 100,000 miles. They asked me what I wanted to do and I couldn't answer them because I had to leave for an audition.

On the way to the audition, a million different questions were running through my head about the car situation. At the same time, I'm trying to get in a good mental place for the audition. Not an easy task!

I get to the audition, sign in, fill out my size card, and before I get a chance to look at the script my name gets called. YIKES! Nobody in that room cares about my car dilemma, especially at this particular moment. Not that they're cold or uncaring, they just have a job to do and need to do it fast. What do I do? So I took all that nervous energy that I brought with me and made it work for me. I gave an energetic, focused audition and left the room feeling that I did good work.

TIP OF THE WEEK: If you're having a bad day and you have an interview, audition, booking, or important meeting, remember this: don't complain, don't explain, and smile!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self. Whitney Young

DISCUSS!: How do you handle important professional events when you're having a bad day?

No comments: