Monday, September 13, 2010

GKN Weekly Update 9/13/10

Hello and Happy Birthday to me! Whoo Hoo!!!

BTW thank you for the FLOOD of Birthday wishes that came my way via email, text message, and wall posts on Facebook & Voiceover Universe. I really appreciate it!

The past few weeks has been a blur of running errands, moving stuff to mom's new apartment, and trying to spend some quality time with friends & family. I would like to think that things will settle down starting tomorrow, but then I remember that I have 50 medical narration scripts to record by the end of next month. Eeek!

I did have a very nice nice recording session last week at Onomatopoeia for one of my e-learning clients. CityVox (the artist formerly known as Full House) doesn't have their facility quite ready yet, hence the session at Onomatopoeia. I worked with four great talents with whom I've had the pleasure of recording with many times before. Much of the session dealt with demonstrating elisions. It was hard! Even though us Americans are such lazy speakers, it was difficult to speak improperly on purpose. When you're in the booth you work hard to be verbally "on point", so to speak, to the point that it becomes second nature to be so articulate and clear. So when you have to speak badly on purpose, you get self-conscious and the slurs sound artificial. It was quite the learning experience!

TIP OF THE WEEK: I am 39 years old today. For those of you who have jokingly or seriously commented on my age (and I say this with a smile), STUFF IT!!! In the grand scheme of things I am young. I look young, I act young, and I feel young. I have energy and optimism, vim and vigor. My advice to you who hang your identity & self-worth on your age (and I know some of you are reading this), knock it off! You are you, not what your birth certificate says. Don't equate that number to your value or your self-esteem. Enjoy life, no matter how much or how little of it you have experienced.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: It’s more fulfilling to be a person than a personality. Carlos Santana

STUFF!:  Thanks again for the birthday wishes. It makes me feel loved to know I am loved!

From Tom Dheere's apartment, this is Tom Dheere, GKN News...

No comments: