Monday, August 16, 2010

GKN Weekly Update 8/16/10

Hello, all! I hope you had a lovely weekend.

Last week's work consisted mostly of retakes for the last two sci-fi audio books I narrated for Infinivox: Mayflower II and The Political Officer. Retakes usually are needed for a few reasons:

Technical Issues (feedback, low gain, static, etc.)
Background Sounds
Script Errors
Me Being a Doofus (I mispronounced a word, inadvertently changed a word, inserted a word, flubbed an accent, or stressed the wrong word)

These are all common errors, many of which you can minimize.

TIP OF THE WEEK: Here's what you can do to minimize the amount of retakes needed:

Read the script. I know that sounds obvious, but I mean REALLY read the script. I try read it three times before I record. Once to enjoy it & understand the story, once to break down the characters, and once to review spelling and grammar.

Ask questions. If I'm not sure about something, I ask the publisher. If he's not sure, he contacts the author and gets back to me. Once in a while you may get to talk to the author directly, but I'm not always sure that's best. Writing something and reading it aloud are two different disciplines and it's the publisher's job to bridge them.

Take notes.
I always build a pronunciation guide. Sci-fi stories tend to have a lot a big real words and even more fake words, some of which don't feel organic. Get the correct pronunciations and practice them. Also, I like using accents so I track how each character speaks and make sure I get the subtleties right.

Have fun! If you do your homework and enjoy the session, your acting will shine through.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: Listen to the song of life. Katherine Hepburn

STUFF!: What is your favorite audio book?

From Tom Dheere's apartment, this is Tom Dheere, GKN News...

No comments: