Monday, December 14, 2009

GKN Weekly Update 12/14/09

Top o' the morning to you, my little do-gooders! Getting your holiday shopping done?

Last week I did something I don't get to do very often: a home recording session with a phone patch. For those of you who don't know what a phone patch is, it means you're communicating with someone while you're recording. It can be as simple as holding up a cell phone to the speaker to using a high-end system like Source Connect or ISDN. I use Skype and it's great! Anyway, the client was wonderful and I banged out a two page script in two takes.

It did make me re-examine my setup, though. I think I need a new set of headphones. The quality isn't great and the cord is too short so I had to put the speakers in the booth with me, which was a little awkward cable-wise. I'm going to buy a new set this week and I would appreciate any suggestions for a good pair of headphones with a 10 foot cord and an 1/8" jack (or 1/4" inch, I have an adapter) for under $100. Thanks!

TIP OF THE WEEK: Gear is pretty darn important in the voiceover business. I'm not as tech-savvy as I'd like to be, but I'm learning. If you are wary of technology and don't like using computers or the Internet, the VO life may not be for you. I love learning new things and I'm always up for a challenge!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: Thank the bus driver. (from the book “Rules for my Unborn Son” by Walker Lamond)

DISCUSS!: How comfortable are you with technology? More importantly, do you like learning new skill sets? Do you have any recent experiences to share?

Have a great week!

No comments: