Monday, March 9, 2009

GKN Weekly Update 3/9/09

Happy, um...second week of March? I looked at my planner and I got nuthin'...

I hope everyone enjoyed the first reasonably warm weekend of the year out here on the East Coast. I played in a poker tournament (yes, with real people in a real room with real money) and I came in third place! Whoo hoo!!!

Last week was the start of a big ole honkin' VO project for me. I will narrate nine more sci-fi audio short stories for Infinivox. Once again, Allan Kaster has been kind enough to cast me to read some very high quality scripts. I've narrated only one so far so this is going to be a busy week!

I also had two recording sessions for ETS in Princeton last week. They're keeping me busy, too!

A couple of quick website announcements:

For those of you who use "Craig's Helper" to find work it's now called "Search Tempest". The new URL is www.searchtempest.com.

Also, Variety's networking site "The Biz" is now called "Variety's Media Careers". The new URL for that one is www.varietymediacareers.com. Update your bookmarks accordingly!

TIP OF THE WEEK: Someday I'll get back to focusing on the five areas of success in our industry but stuff just keeps coming up!

I got two very interesting responses to the last Tip of the Week. The first was a request to write an article exploring technology & manners/professionalism/etiquette. It's a fascinating subject that I will be happy to dive in to. I'll let you know when the article is posted. Great idea, John!

The other response was a personal apology to me for a recent lack of communication concerning a particular subject. Out of respect I won't go into any further detail, but I must say how touched I was. Everybody's lives are so hectic and we get so caught up in what we're doing & feeling that sometimes we lose sight of the world around us. Which brings me to this: the key to any successful relationship, whether it be personal or professional, is communication. Take the time to talk, even if you have to say something the other person doesn't want to hear. Everyone is better off in the long run.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: (On Richard Nixon) Richard Nixon is a no-good, lying bastard. If he ever caught himself telling the truth, he'd tell a lie just to keep his hand in. Harry S Truman.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Is there anyone in your life, professionally or personally, who you've been avoiding? Are you protecting their feelings or yours?

Have a great week!

No comments: