Monday, February 14, 2011

GKN Weekly Update 2/14/11

Happy Valentine's Day! Look at that, I didn't have to make up a holiday...

Today's GKN update is coming a bit late in the day because I was recording for about five hours. I narrated the first of five stories for "Top Ten Tales of Science Fiction 3", courtesy of Allan Kaster and the great people at Infinivox. Today's story was 77 pages long. I'm pooped! Narrating audio books wipes me out. The energy and focus required to sit still for all that time, speaking clearly and at a proper pace, and keeping all the characters distinct is considerable. Man, I wouldn't trade it for anything! Audio books are my absolute favorite form of voice work.


TIP OF THE WEEK: Being a voice actor is my dream job. The funny part is that I didn't know it until I was well into it! Like most people, it was the abstraction of the career that appealed to me at first. Talk for money? Hell, I can do that! When I actually started doing it and discovered how hard voice acting is and was told what the odds are of making it, that's when it became a dream job. A real challenge that I knew I could meet, though for many years I didn't know how to meet it. It took me until the age of 35 to be truly successful in this field and happy as a human being. Coincidence...?

I talk to people all the time who are stuck in jobs they hate as a result of making a series of choices that put them there. So I ask them "What did you want to be?" and many have no idea or just some vague notion of doing something cool and highly profitable that apparently requires little or no effort (BTW that's the curse of the VO industry!). Some of them, however get a wistful look in their eyes and say "You know? Everybody always told me I was good at X, but I just never applied myself..."

Unless it's something that's beyond your physical capabilities or natural talents, it is NEVER too late! It's just a matter of how hard & long you're willing to work at it to make it happen. That's why they have night classes, summer courses, online courses, student loans, etc. If you really, truly want to do something different with your life, you can make the time for it and find the resources necessary. Now get out there and be what you've always wanted to be!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: There is no fight when you go to your dream. Sally Johnson

STUFF!: I want to wish everyone out there a very Happy Valentine's Day. I know it's a goofy, made-up, over-commercialized holiday, but the take the time to tell the people in your life how much you love them. It makes a big difference when they actually hear it!

From Tom Dheere's apartment, this is Tom Dheere, GKN News...

No comments: